Americans Unprepared For Disaster
Based on a survey of 1,007 nationally representative Americans ages 18 and over, taken by Kelton Research through NationalGeographic.com, 51% of Americans believe a financial collapse is imminent, and 85% say that the U.S. is overwhelmingly under-prepared.
What follows are some points that jumped out at this writer, based on the opinions of the 1,007 respondents:
- 175, which is 17%, believe that the world will experience a major catastrophe in less than a year. This was the highest number and percentage of responses for that question.
- The second-highest response to that question was 166 respondents, or 16%, saying that the world will never suffer a major catastrophe.
- If a major catastrophe was to take place in their lifetimes, 712 (71%) believe it would be a natural disaster such as an earthquake or hurricane.
- 529 (53%) believe that they are about as prepared as the rest of the country should a catastrophic occurrence take place. 234 (23%) believe that they are more prepared, while 244 (24%) believe that they are less prepared.
A significant point of interest is the majority of these Americans said they were willing to share their preparation supplies or food storage, and it broke down this way:
- 76% of those surveyed said they would share resources with their immediate family.
- 42% stated they would share with neighbors.
- 24% said they would share with neighbors that they didn’t know that well.
- 3% of those surveyed said they would not share their resources with anyone.
Nearly 27% of the respondents believe that a catastrophic event is likely to occur on Dec. 21, 2012. That date is where the Mayan Calender ends and too many misguidedly believe that the world likewise comes to an end. 73% responded that a major event on that date is unlikely.
All in all, we are not fully prepared spiritually, mentally, or physically for TEOTWAWKI, which the end of the world as we know it – but not the end of the world. As international tensions heighten and the world quakes and groans, we are well-advised to stock-up, lock and load, and be prepared to batten-down or to move out on little or no notice.
But ultimately, we must watch at the wall and be prepared for the one who will come like a thief in the night.
- September 2020
- August 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- December 2018
- August 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- November 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- March 2017
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- April 2015
- August 2013
- March 2013
- October 2012
- July 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- August 2011